Jennifer O’Donnell, Ph.D.
Principal Coastal Engineer/CEO
For over 20 years, Dr. Jennifer
O’Donnell has been addressing a broad array of practical
problems in the coastal ocean environment. Her project work includes
analyzing sediment transport and beach erosion in the field and the
laboratory, processing and evaluating underwater acoustic signals, and
developing ocean environmental impact statements. Dr.
O’Donnell has extensive experience developing and evaluating
approaches for operational use of physical oceanography including
improving the effectiveness of ocean searches through computational
modeling, deriving surface currents from satellite oceanography (AVHRR
and Synthetic Aperture Radar), evaluating drifting buoy design,
identifying environmental data for operational forecasting, and
assessing the potential of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) and
Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs) for ocean operations.
Dr. O’Donnell’s professional experience includes federal government, industry and academic institutions. She has published technical papers on a variety of subjects including sediment transport, satellite oceanography, underwater acoustic signal processing, and UAVs in refereed journals such as Journal of Underwater Acoustics, Unmanned Systems, Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing, Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, Marine Geology, Journal of Geophysical Research and Journal Fluid Mechanics.
Areas of Expertise
- Sediment Transport
- Coastal Engineering
- Coastal and Ocean Environmental Data Analysis
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Signal Processing
- Project Management
- Ph.D., Engineering, University of Cambridge, England
- Master of Civil Engineering, Coastal and Ocean Engineering, University of Delaware
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Civil Engineering, Duke University
Achievement, Credentials & Affiliations
- Member of the Connecticut Legislators’ Task Force on Climate Change and Coastal Protection
- Guest on NPR’s Where We Live http://www.yourpublicmedia.org/content/wnpr/beach-erosion-post-sandy
- Presenter, NOAA Coastal Service Center: Coastal Adaptation for Municipal Leaders
- Quoted in the Boston Globe, New London Day, Westerly Sun, Hartford Bulletin and CT Mirror.